Tuesday, March 17, 2009

twitter vs facebook

People have been talking all over the interwebs/tubespace about the competition between twitter and facebook. Perhaps its because of facebook's redesign that makes it closely mimic a twitter feed. Or perhaps it's the fact that people associate fb status and tweets the same way. One of the articles I reference in the beginning talks about facebook being passive, and twitter being active. I would go one step further.

I see them this way:

facebook is my ultimate phonebook/rolodex/event planning tool
If I run into someone who I haven't seen in a while, or meet someone who I want to keep in touch with, I can just tell them to find me on facebook. It's that simple. No longer do I have to remember phone numbers, or even bother to enter their number into my phone. As long as I know your name, I'm set.

And you want to throw a party, or get people together for dinner? Send invites via a facebook event. All my friends are on there, so everyone will see it.

twitter is my status tool and primary way to quickly communicate
Am I out and about somewhere cool? Do I want to share a link, picture or video? twitter is how I'm going to do that. Whereas I have to go to facebook to see status updates, twitter is being pushed to me all the time. I can search who's tweeting nearby, get updates about where people are eating, etc.

I find that keeping these tools separated by function will make my life a whole lot easier to manage. Initially upon signing up with twitter I was getting overwhelmed with information, trying to keep my status updates on fb in sync with twitter. That's not the way to do it. By utilizing facebook as my phonebook/rolodex and twitter as my status tool, I can quickly decide what is appropriate for each platform.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts as well. Am I missing something fundamental? @kones

1 comment:

  1. I look at it this way:

    Facebook is for people you already know and twitter is for people you want to know.

    ReplyDelete